Forell - If not for love (Ethan Reilly Mix)



"Rather than writing the lyrics down, I would like to tell you the story about this song. I had recorded a rough and short version of this song around 2001. Then I put it aside. The lyrics back then were somehow about a few things that I used to discuss a lot with a very good friend of mine, Ethan. We had read several rather spiritual or philosophical writers like Bach, Walsh, Redfield and Pirsig, and we used to spend hours in discussions about their ideas and our own ones. I don’t know why I picked the song up again, but I was right back in the middle of working on it, when in late January this year, Ethan died all of a sudden – only two hours after my second son was born. From this day on, I had a different point of view to this song. Now that it’s finished, I guess it’s mainly about the one idea; that Ethan and me always considered one of the more important ones: If you take any human idea, thought or emotion and boil it down long enough, you will see that it somehow came either from love or from fear – anything else will be a product of either one. Assuming this, our both’s deduction was: If you can’t do something for love, don’t do it at all – because it must be somehow a product of fear. And I am not at all just talking about romantic relationships. I am sure this applies for most aspects in our daily life. Whether this is the “truth” or not… but making this our truth it brought a good leap further to where we wanted to be. I truly miss the days when we had time to discuss for hours and hours and I am very grateful for every step – even though they were too few - we were walking aside on our journey through our lifes. Love." (Hyko)

FORELL
Hyko -- vocals, guitar and keyboard
Chris Castren -- drums and percussion

Visit FORELL: www.forell.net/
Follow FORELL on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Forell

© 2011 Forell

Blog Archive